Friday, May 27, 2011

Travel Plans This Summer?

The gypsy in me is about to dance free once again and I couldn't be more happy about it! 
With work slowing down in June and a set-in-stone girls' trip to New Orleans from 6/13-6/17, I am thinking BIG! 

Panda sightings may be extremely likely in Memphis, TN, NOLA, Baton Rouge, LA, Austin, TX, Fort Worth, TX, OKC, Tahlequah, OK, Little Rock, AR, Lawrence, KS, and of course KCMO!  But I've only got June, so if you are on this list and would like to connect, let's do it!

I am extra pumped up right now from meeting a super cool couple who are "high pointing" all 50 states!  I just got an email from them talking about their journey since we met on 5/17 at the "Portugal. The Man." show at Record Bar in KCMO.  It was surely fate, and I now have a new pen pal! 


Ron, Panda and Dana

Dana writes in her email about their adventures:

"After leaving KC we drove to Clayton, NM for the evening.  There are a lot of very bleak towns scattered across the interior of the US and I do believe we have driven through and stayed in a fair number of them.  Clayton may be their poster child.   Thursday morning we hiked Black Mesa in Oklahoma (high point number 2).  Black Mesa was an amazing and wonderful surprise.  Absolutely the middle of nowhere and mainly gravel roads surrounding the nature preserve.  There was one sign which gave information on the area and a phone of the mercantile store in a neighboring town.  They request that you call the store and let them know you are out there for your own safety and then phone them again upon your return to your car.  My guess was in case you had a run in with a rattlesnake.   We were the only car in the lot, which we did not even share with a garbage can.  Very isolated and pristine.  I have seen it described as bucolic and I very much agree.  We made to the top of a wind swept mesa and logged in at the marble obelisk marking the high point.  The last visitor had been 5 days previous and prior to that guy it had been 10 days earlier for the last group.  So...Ronnie decides to go the bathroom and at that very moment we see ANOTHER couple walking up the path.  Get out of town!!  They were from Pittsburg and they were geocaching.  They had been in Las Vegas and then rented a car to drive to Black Mesa.  They almost stepped on a huge rattlesnake and were kind enough to share their photo.  When we got back to the lot, very hot and hungry (8 and 1/2 mile round trip hike), we had a picnic with Oklahoma Joe’s leftovers and a beer.  I just cannot tell you how cool it was to be eating good food in such a completely unspoiled place."

FYI - I looked bucolic up and it means, "of or relating to the pleasant aspects of the countryside and country life."  Might just have to throw Black Mesa on my list now!  

Oh, and Oklahoma Joe's is a BBQ joint in KC.  It's located in a gas station, but has been acclaimed to have the best sauce on the planet.  I will investigate and get back to you all!

I'm so happy that I met the "high pointers" at a Portugal. The Man. concert.  It was an epic show.  
I'm seriously dreaming in their music now.  Check this out.





Road trip mix tapes are brewin' right now ;) 

How about you?  What song/s would you suggest to add to a road trip playlist?

Some of my favorites are:
Born To Be Wild - Steppenwolf
Free Fallin' - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Hotel California - The Eagles
Free Bird - Lynard Skynard
Around the World - Daft Punk
We No Speak Americano - Yolanda Be Cool
Beautiful Day - U2
People Say - Portugal. The Man

What else?  Hmmm?



No comments:

Post a Comment