Sunday, July 10, 2011

On Writing




I just recently finished reading Stephen King's, "On Writing," which I caught wind of during the Blogathon 2011 theme day, "What are your 5 favorite books on writing?"  I chose to write about my 5 favorite Children's books, but took the suggestion of many others and picked up "On Writing" as an audio book from the public library.


One of the last things that King says about writing is that everyone gets a hall pass to write.  If you want to be a writer, you don't have to wait for anyone to pin the label on you, just start writing and get happy doing it!  I agree!  Writing should bring happiness!  Just like you can hear a smile in someone's voice on the phone, why not hear the happiness writing brings through the art of, well, writing.  It's like eating at a five star restaurant vs. a 24-hr diner.  You can taste the love and happiness put into the food at the five star place, where the bitterness of low quality food gets the job done, but doesn't exactly satisfy.  I think that's how literature should work.  A reader should feel the love that the author gives to their work.   It should be mandatory from car manuals to high school textbooks!  Maybe then people would want to spend more time reading and less time in front of the TV!


Anyway, King ends the book,


"Writing is magic, as much the water of life as any other creative art.  The water is free.  So drink.  Drink and be filled up."  




This really inspired me.  


Here is my latest drink.




A drink of writing
Quenches my eternal soul
And waters my dreams


Receive ancient words
Reassign them new meanings
Remember to play


Wishing well of words
My bucket lowers head bowed
Knight it with your gift





xOx,

No comments:

Post a Comment