Saturday, September 24, 2011

Yard Sale Treasure


In an effort to condense my life,
I invited my neighbors to shop in a store I created on my front lawn.

My front walkway transformed into the main artery of an outdoor trading post,
which was comprised of various card tables topped with trinkets,
boxes of books, DVDs, music, art and various clothing racks,
like one we made by lodging a long wooden bar in a knot of a huge maple tree
and propping the other end on a ladder. Classy!

Two days of selling and I would say I have found a new calling!

As one of my favorite female authors, Anais Nin says,
"good things happen to those who hustle."
Come to my sale and you're sure to leave with a treasure.

However, upon examining the remnants of the upheaval,
my attention was drawn to a vintage paperback book titled,
"Living Altars of The Ozarks," by Omer E. Creech.

It was published in 1973, and was originally titled, "Soul Talk of the Ozark Hills."
I have no idea where this book came from, but the title page had been autographed
directly below a stamp that read, "Look often toward the crest of the hills."  I was sold.

I flipped the page to the Dedication.  It was golden.
"To all living souls, who have the will and the courage to search for and discover a personal truth,
and follow that truth to it's destiny; I dedicate this book."
Ohhh, goosebumps.  I hit the jackpot!

I read on to find a beautiful poem that has easily become the treasure of my day. Here it is for you:



WOODLAND THERAPY

Let me walk in the woods
away from the crowded thoroughfare.
Let me commune with living things;
Things uninhibited by the cares of men.
With unshod feet let me tread softly 
upon the floor of the cool earth;
A floor carpeted by rich brown leaves
washed clean by the falling rain.
Grant me the privilege of listening;
Listening to the stillness of the eternal quiet.
Give unto me the sensitivity of response;
The response to the divine quietness
that whispers to the inner soul of man--
"Be still and know that I am God." 
And having responded to this divine call
let me walk from the woods
a wiser and stronger man;
Capable of re-entering and
living in the mainstream of life.

When I read this, it felt like a spoken meditation that I could easily take with me and ponder on nature walks and hiking adventures with my dogs.  I once wrote, "Greater than the test of society is the examination within," and Creech confirms my thought, "Every man's soul is his own sanctuary."  -Creech

Thank you yard sale treasure :) 

1 comment:

  1. What a find! I think I need that book.

    Hope you're doing well. I have taken a step back from the blogging world for a while, and am jumping back in, full force, so I hope to hear more of your stories more often. I especially love visiting your blog. :)

    Have a great weekend, Ms. Pahhhhnnndaa. ;)

    ReplyDelete