Saturday, August 13, 2011

VIPness x2

Running into famous musicians seems to be a talent of mine these days and tonight was no different.


In the little corner bar on 13th and Main in downtown Kansas City, two members of The Wallflowers, Jakob Dylan (son of Bob Dylan) and Rami Jaffee stepped up to the bar.


I, having absolutely no idea who either of them were in person, made eye contact and sparked up a conversation about the colorful feather earrings that I wore tonight.










I just made them today and they are a little humongous, but I think I am completely in love with them...and well, Rami, the keyboardist, totally affirmed their coolness for me. :)  It was a special moment, but since I was getting out of work at the same moment, I was kind of quick with them.  I was ready to go!


So I get off work and walk with some friends out to their car to grab a painting that my VIPness roll dog, Amber, got for me by trading art with another artist.  It's a PANDA!  And it's titled, "Fight Club."   I'm so stoked I scream out loud a little bit.  I already know what an inspiration it is going to be to me, hanging there on my wall, reminding me to bleed a little so I can live in the moment.  The time is NOW.


Here's the best "Fight Club" quote ever and it makes me think a lot about my Story of Stuff post.

"Man, I see in fight club the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off. "



NOW IS THE TIME!



So...I walk back into the bar with my painting and the two cool dudes are still sitting there, but by now the secret's been let out and everyone knows who they are.  Within moments they take off and a few moments later, my tipsy coworker follows after.  Leaving her drink sitting on the bar for a few minutes, I figured she made contact and was enjoying a nice conversation with the very interesting musicians on the side of the 100 year old theatre where we work.  I decided to investigate and sure enough my prediction was spot on!  I crashed the moment and somehow in those five minutes managed to get this picture of Rami wearing one of my earrings and holding my new painting:





Very mysterious!  HA!  Life.  LOL. Sorry, no pics of Jakob for ya...yet.  He did promise to put us on the list for the Farmaid show tomorrow though!  Crossing my fingers it happens, because HOLY MOLY!  Willie Nelson is gonna be there and he wears feathers, so I think I am gonna make a special feather earring just in case I meet him...cause, well, anything is possible!  


So, one last point to tie this all together.  When I got home, I wiki'd The Wallflowers and transported back to high school reading about their hit songs, like "One Headlight" and "6th Avenue Heartache."  But what intrigued me the most was the story behind the lyrics to "6th Avenue Heartache"


Wiki says,

"Jakob Dylan, the band's lead singer, wrote the song when he was eighteen years old, and considered it the first real song he had written. It was meant to go on their self-titled first album, but the record company would not allow it. The lyrics are based on Dylan's own experiences while living in New York, in particular the story of a homeless man who would sit outside his window and play the same songs every day. One day the man was gone, but his things were still there, until gradually people started taking them."


That moved me. 




Then I read on to learn that the music video, shot in New York, was directed by movie director David Fincher, known for such films as Se7en and Fight Club.


FIGHT CLUB!!!! (remember? my painting's name!)


Just a reminder that there are no coincidences in life.  None.  Thanks for being here. G'night!


No comments:

Post a Comment