Friday, August 26, 2011

Yoga at Church a.k.a. Holy Yoga

I tried Vinyasa Yoga in the basement of a church.  


Vinyasa has more of an athletic approach than other types of yoga, but I still took a lot away from my session. 


My favorite routine was reaching my palms toward the ceiling and grabbing energy then pulling it back to me.  This was especially spiritual in the church setting for I kept imagining pulling God's love down through the floor boards of the sanctuary above.  Couldn't help but smile huge :-D


I love yoga.  It's the best.


Just yesterday on Bike With Jackie, I read these awesome words from The Happy Yoga Book,


  "Who is your true soul mate? You are. How do you mate with yourself? Through yoga."


Ahhhh.  Look no further, happiness is here - within.


Practice makes perfect and who wouldn't mind a perfect mating session a few times a week anyway? Right!? 


According to YogaBound.com, "Supposedly disease can not live in a well oxygenated body...Yoga improves circulation, taking increased levels of oxygen to every cell in the body." 


Yoga's all about breathing.  Figuring out how to control your breathing during yoga takes a lot of practice, but once you get it -- you never forget how.  It's like riding a bike - but with a much more tingly feeling afterwards.


So have you tried yoga yet?  You should.


For me, the instructor's voice helps guide my meditation and flow, which is something I have a hard time doing by myself.  You can read about my experience with The Float....I just tried it again yesterday, with the same results.  I could never really "get out" of my head.  Yet, today I did it just fine with the help of yoga and a sweet teacher telling me peaceful things like this:


"We are all climbing the same mountain, but what we see is different."  


That is why we close our eyes in class - so that we don't have to compare ourselves to others (as our ego loves to do) and so that we can focus inward and go with our own flow.


Yoga in church was nice.  I'm glad I tried it. I got high on Jesus and O2, and from it I had no control of the ear to ear smile that kept sneaking into my cheek muscles!  :-D


Dalai Lama:
"This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness." 


Be kind to yourself. :-D



"Yoga is like riding a bicycle.  There is a great balance there, but you must practice to achieve it."  
--Ms. Panda

No comments:

Post a Comment